Skip to main content

Peet's Light Roast, Sun Catcher Coffee


For this Coffee tasting I tried Peet’s, light roast, Sun Catcher coffee. I often search for coffees that are more distinctive than contemporary, familiar flavors. This coffee seems to be commercially evasive (IMO). The package reads, “strawberry jam, citrus, and honeysuckle.” When I open the gourmet pouch and sniff, I shove my nose in to make sure I’m getting a good smell. The smell is good and unique. I think the honeysuckle and jam are new with the coffee scent; they create something I can’t describe.

I brew the coffee and fill my cup. When I taste it unsweetened, I get a good, strong, coffee flavor with a light presence on my tongue. There is something going on here. The back flavor of citrus I have become familiar with, it seems to be a redeeming quality in the gourmet coffee market. The honeysuckle piques my interest, it is not strong or defining, but it is there. I like it. Strawberry jam? I don’t taste it. There does seem to be a hint at sweetness. There seems to be an abstractedness that needs fulfillment.

I pour another cup and add sweetener. The first drink is a blast of flavor; it throws me aback. What do we have here? It is like my taste buds are slapped with two fat slices of bread oozing with strawberry jam between them. It isn’t an overpowered Easter sweetness, but a mouth warming comfortable sweetness. It is verry good, another cup good. The honeysuckle takes a backseat to the strawberry jam and the full-flavored coffee experience of this brew leaves me with a pleasurable surprise. I simply lay back in my chair and watch the morning news without the sinical bite of the real world pulling at my conscious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...