Skip to main content

Thomas Hammer Signature Blend Coffee

 


With this tasting, Thomas Hammer Signature Blend, emphasis is on the three attributes graphed on the package: roast, body, and acidity. In my previous article (blog post) I went over my understanding and research of these attributes and how they contribute to a coffee’s overall flavor. To better understand how these attributes affect the way coffee flavor and tasting are experienced, I have purchased not only Hammer’s Signature Blend but also Hammer’s French Roast. Comparing the graphs on these two coffees shows that Signature Blend rates the three attributes nominally at their mid points while French Roast rates roast and body at max, and acidity at bottom.

For this critique, I have tried Hammer’s Signature Blend. When I opened the package, I shoved my nose in and took a big sniff. The scent has a very enjoyable coffee smell. It is not overpowering and is very clean, and I had to smell it a couple of times because I enjoy it. For my first cup, black and unsweetened, I was pleasantly surprised. The medium roast target on the package graph seems to have nailed the flavor attribute as discussed in my previous post. There is nothing weak or strong regarding the roast, and it is exceptionally smooth.

The second attribute of body, again, excelled with this tasting. The brew was not weak or light. It did not seem excessively sticky or heavy. My experience with its aftertaste left me with enough time to enjoy a mix of semi-sweet chocolate and at the very back end, a raisin finish as expressed by the tasting notes.

The third attribute of acidity, in my opinion, was most difficult to sense. The package graph rates it at medium. I did not detect any acidity. I can only guess that there was some acidic dissipation at the end of the finish with a nearly undetectable raisin like citrus taste.

Regarding the tasting notes, I would not express having experienced anything spicy and if there is a toffee aspect it is only the brew’s richness.

My final word on this coffee is it has been one of my favorites of my coffee tasting journey, and I would recommend it as a daily pick-me-up for its consistent and to my tastebuds, enjoyably enduring flavor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...