Skip to main content

Cravens' Buttery, Caramel, Butterscotch, Medium Roast Coffee


 When a person tastes a variety of gourmet coffees long enough, they begin to recognize characteristics of how coffee will taste. Cravens, Buttery, Caramel, Butterscotch is a good example. Its packaging is a decorative bag, good design, that has a sticker on the front giving a brief description of the coffee: single origin, medium roast. Upon opening the bag, the smell is mundane. The scent is reminiscent of plastic tub coffees rather than gourmet coffee. Its grind is fine, so much so that it can cause some difficulty with filters. 

This Cravens Coffee selection is a flavored coffee: butter, caramel, and butterscotch. With my first cup, unsweetened, I can taste none of these. There is a medium roast consistency in the coffee. Its unsweetened flavor is very much a tub coffee flavor match. It is smooth, with some coffee flavor with a bitterness that warns the drinker of the next sip. Its presence on the tongue and cheeks is negligible with an acidic aftertaste.

I sweetened the second cup. Sweetener doesn’t seem to make a great difference with this coffee. While sweetener is good for managing some bitterness, and catalyzing the flavor in the roast, this coffee reveals nothing. I am still unable to detect butter, caramel, and butterscotch. My enthusiasm for this coffee after reading the label has been stifled.

The most interesting thing about this coffee is that the packaging declares that it is put into a 1940 Probat roaster. The Probat roaster, in my novice research, is the gold standard of roasters. They are sought out by coffee artisans and are said to produce a high-quality roasting experience. My online research regarding these craft roasters was interesting. A coffee connoisseur could easily get lost in such research.

This flavor of Cravens Coffee may not be the best place for coffee drinkers to start. My own opinion leads me to question if I should not try one of their plain roasted coffees without any flavor enhancement. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...