Skip to main content

Grinding Coffee Beans on a Budget


 So, I am looking at the gourmet coffees in the grocery store, and I spot one that looks great and I have to try it. The front of the package does not say whether the coffee is ground or whole beans. Naturally, excited to try it, I bought it. When I arrive home and open the package my excitement is stifled, and I see that I have whole bean coffee and no grinder. I decide that as a novice coffee critic, it is time to up my game. It is time for me to grind my own beans like the settlers of the old west.

Realizing I need a coffee grinder, I did a quick search online and saw that the giant retail store had one for under fifteen dollars. I purchased one of these budget models and after taking it out of the box and reading some of its material I learned that filling the grinding chamber to the line marked “MAX,” should give me two ounces of coffee capable of brewing up to twelve cups.

Some other interesting things in the literature, that I find questionable, are “for the smoothest, best-tasting cup of coffee. . . Grind your coffee beans immediately before brewing.” Also, a list of grind textures for brewing methods. This list goes from “Extra Course” to “Extra Fine.” The suggested grind for “Cone-shaped pour-over drippers” is “Medium” and “Medium Fine.” According to the instructions I should only run the grinder ten to twenty seconds and then wait one minute so I do not overheat the motor. Does this mean if I grind it for fifteen seconds, I will get my desired grind?

I get to business and fill the grinding chamber. I grind the beans for fifteen seconds. I have posted a picture of the filled grinder and the finished ground coffee. Notice: I have put a clean quarter next to the ground coffee amount from the chamber for scale. The grinder, in fact, does produce enough ground coffee for my pour-over brew pot.

Some things to be aware of are the cleaning of the grinder and the coarseness of the grind. The instructions say to clean the chamber using a wet cloth. Cleaning the chamber can be a tedious and messy task. It is not something I would want to do daily. I will opt to grind the whole bag in one day with one-minute breaks between filling the chamber and then clean it. Fifteen seconds produces a very fine grind. My pour-over filter plugged up when brewing and I had to use a spoon to get the hot water to drain through. I will try grinding the beans in less than fifteen seconds next time.

My overall experience with this coffee grinder has been good and I believe if people have the time and enjoy drinking coffee, they should try it. The investment in time and money is not great, and I will say the flavor does seem more palatable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...