Skip to main content

Punk Bunny Coffee, Father of All Dark Roasts



When I saw the bag for Punk Bunny, Father of all Dark Roasts, coffee on the shelf, it sold me. I have an affinity for dark coffee whether there is more caffeine in it or not. The picture of the floppy eared bunny with coffee bean eyes is a fun image and the bag has Green Day’s (the punk band’s) name on it. I went to the Punk Bunny website and, sure enough, there are the members of Green Day promoting their coffee.

To open the bag, I remove a piece of clear tape and cut the top off with scissors because it is held together with glue. I sniff the coffee inside, but the scent seems scant for a dark roast. I poor the coffee into an airtight container for storage and the grind appears near fine. I sniff again and try to determine if my sense is detecting something. I’m not sure.

I poor hot water through the coffee and try it. I believe that the flavor should be more pronounced. I’m not sure about its taste and decide to try it a second day. Again, when I taste it, there seems a lack of flavor. I get a hint of something organic: what I believe is something like unripe fruit. If it is coffee beans it tastes green. I wonder if the roasting is complete or overdone. After I sweeten the coffee, I taste more sweetener than coffee. I search the bag for a lot number, maybe it’s just this batch that seems underwhelming.

I really want to like this coffee, but the best I can say about it is it makes me want to understand the coffee production process more. I want to know how to improve it. For further research I would check Caruso’s Coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...