Skip to main content

Peet's, Medium Roast, Brazil Coffee


Before any supposed tariffs were to kick in, I purchased a bag of Peet’s medium roast, Brazil coffee. There has been some media discourse about Brazilian coffee and tariffs, so I thought I should try it. A couple things pointed out on the package are “single origin” and “tasting notes.” I am assuming that single origin is coffee from the beans of one plantation; from one plant seems beyond any mass marketable reality. Under “tasting notes” Peet’s has printed: “balanced, dried fruit, hazel nut.” I’ll get to this later. Upon smelling the coffee in the package, I notice that its scent is not overwhelming. I push my nose in and take some big sniffs. It does have an agreeable scent that lingers with my virtual senses, those senses reacquired from memory. There is nothing harsh or overly tactile about it. Upon tasting the coffee, after brewing, it backs up its scent with a very smooth presence and a decidedly pleasurable coffee flavor.

This coffee seems grown in a pleasurable atmosphere. The bean or beans from this single plantation have a distinct coffee flavor, pungent, smooth, and organically well rounded. I do not detect the “tasting notes” indicated on the package. The flavor of this coffee is simple and pleasurable. After adding some sweetener, this coffee tastes more palatable to my awareness of mass appeal, my ideal of commercial sense. I can understand how a large market would value such Brazilian coffee and its salable attributes. In an economy that seems to be losing markets, I find it difficult to justify any business models that will be stimulated by nationally gratuitous tariffs. That said, manufacturing must exist for such ideology, and threatening the service industry with said tariffs may harm the overall economy more than overhaul it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...