Skip to main content

Black Rifle, Beyond Black


Black coffee, from my perspective, is a natural go-to for comfort. Some people just desire a cup of black coffee; they do not want some fancy, complex, extravagant beverage that receives more attention than some children get in the morning before school. With this said, I decided to try a basic, black, gourmet coffee. Beyond Black from the Black Rifle Coffee Company comes in an impressive package with a soldier wearing night optics pictured. It doesn’t list flavors or holidays on the front and just reads, “beyond black.” 

Upon filling my cup, after a simple pour-through brew, I am pleased with the taste of dark, adequately roasted, coffee beans. I get a broad swath of black organic, caffeinated brew across my tongue. I get a pleasurable tinge of flavor that is not acidic. This is a smooth black coffee. 

The back of the Beyond Black package says, “with dark chocolate tasting notes.” After I add one packet of sweetener, I can distinguish the texture of dark chocolate added to this brew. Note: it is a chocolate texture that adds to the smoothness of this coffee, not an actual chocolate flavor. I can take large drinks of this coffee and cover my pallet with coffee flavor. 

Something to be aware of when drinking this coffee is that its energetic nature creeps up on the drinker. It does not hit the drinker with an instant, numbing, coffee buzz that leaves their senses skipping into physical hesitations (the morning robot). I recommend this coffee to anybody who likes or would like to try a simple black coffee and just needs a morning pick-me-up or something to raise their attention during the day. 

As part of the shrinking middle-class, those who purchase this coffee can be comforted by its “support of veterans, law enforcement, and first responders.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...