Skip to main content

Cutters Point Original Coffee


This critique is special because I try Cutters Point Original coffee. Up front, I absolutely enjoy this coffee. Don’t let its plain brown bag appearance fool you. Its package is almost over engineered for resealing this product’s freshness. And that said, its smell is the freshest. It smells like fresh ground coffee in the northwest mountains.

This coffee comes from Gig Harbor, Washington. While many of the popular coffees out now are from the Seattle area, Cutters is different for its medium roasted blend of stable flavors. There is no salient pop-culture flavor screaming for attention here. It is just the smoothest, richest, dark coffee a connoisseur can wake up too. The package describes its flavor, “notes of raisins, are balanced with an excellent caramel-like sweetness, finished with buttery undertones.” This seems complex, but my taste started with a black, unsweetened cup that had rich coffee flavor with possibly a raisin tarnish to calm acidity. My second cup had sweetener added. As is the case with sweetener, the coffee’s full-bodied flavor is exposed. Again, as I have experienced before, sometimes it is less about a coffee’s flavor and more about its texture. Now a blend of sweet, buttery smoothness that can be associated with caramel and butter, is present. It is a thick, rich smoothness, more than butter alone; that leaves a coffee drinker’s pallet wanting more.

I hope people in other parts of the country can find this coffee in their store. Such great flavor disserves to be shared with friends. Buy bags for them. Something that I return to when drinking this coffee is my experience enjoying the Rockin’ Rhythm and Blues Festival that takes place every year at Gig Harbor, Washington. It is a stunning venue with crowd-pleasing local professionals that put on a memorable show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...