Skip to main content

Kauai Coffee, Coconut Carmel Crunch


There is a lot going on with Kauai Coffee’s coconut caramel crunch. Looking at the package, a drinker may notice that it is only ten percent Hawaiian coffee. On the side of the package, under ingredients, it says Arabica coffee is used but does not indicate a specific source for the remaining ninety percent. The package is also clear about the coffee being artificially flavored. The origin and flavor of this coffee become nearly moot when drinkers read the suggested serving advice. The suggested 6 ounces of water and cream to taste was something I avoided when I made my 8-ounce cup black. Another oddity on the side package is “Distributed by Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA Suffolk, VA USA.” What geographical rounds did this coffee make to get to my pour-over basket? I am not a fan of artificial coconut flavor, but I wanted to try something exotic this time.

On the plus side: this coffee has a creamy smoothness that seems catalyzed by its caramel flavor. The caramel scent and flavor of this coffee are its most positive features. Where the “crunch” in “caramel crunch” comes from, I don’t know. There is no crunch, but there is a creamy smoothness that occupies your whole mouth. Unsweetened, I had to make an effort to taste the coconut. While the coconut may mix well with this coffee’s unusual flavor, I believe it to be the drink’s most negative contributor. Some may find the coconut desirable, but after sweetening the coffee, I found the coconut to be stronger and last longer than I would like. While the smooth creaminess of this coffee’s overall flavor is a treat that will attract many people, I find it reminds me of a smooth sweet juice that is desirable for a short time but is less tolerable daily, making it a novel treat in my opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...