Skip to main content

Shiver Coffee Stout Beer



I tried this unique beer from Bombastic Brewing; it’s called Shiver Coffee Stout. The supposed coffee flavor isn’t the only thing about it that caught my interest; its 10.5% alcohol content made it a must try. After perusing the shelf of commercial micro-brews, the Shiver won the buzz giver award. It came in a four pack, and justifiably so for us light weights. And I will say its 10.5% did not disappoint. It is stout beer.

My first impression, after a big drink, was that this is definitely dark beer. I’m not sure if my taste is consistent, black coffee and dark beer, but I’ll take it over tea and IPA. Its dark flavor made an impression. According to the can, “look for waves of dark chocolate, vanilla, and hints of molasses.” As an afterthought, they tell you, “Add Thomas Hamer cold brew coffee.” With my first taste, I was quickly aware of the beer’s dark flavor. My tongue was enriched with a thick alcoholic aftertaste broadened by intense smokey tartness, which I am accustomed to. I enjoyed the dark beer texture, but what was I tasting? I felt like I was tasting burnt morning brew, but there was something else. After a second can I had a few sips and figured it out, molasses. I had to sip the beer to get a better perspective on its flavor. The chocolate and vanilla contradictions were absent. With big gulps, it is beer after all, I felt like a burnt coffee flavor dominated. With sips, I could distinguish properly brewed coffee sweetened with molasses.

I never believed that beer was for sipping. I can say this beer is worth trying whether you gulp it or sip it. But I would not have suspected sipping beer would make such a flavorful difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...