Skip to main content

Thomas Hammer French Roast Coffee


For the final installment of the Hammer Coffee tasting, regarding the three attributes graphed on their packaging, I try Thomas Hammer’s French Roast Coffee. As stated in my previous article (post), French Roast is graphed as having maximum roast and body with minimal acidity. To understand the three attributes of tasting coffee, roast, body, and acidity, I will compare Hammer’s French Roast with their Signature Blend. Hammer’s Signature Blend graphs roast, body, and acidity as moderate.

Upon opening the bag of Hammer’s French Roast, I am pleasantly surprised with a very rich coffee smell. There is nothing nutty or any dryness suggestive about it. In my opinion, I could say nothing about the roast from its scent. It is somewhat like moist soil in a cedar grove.

The taste of Hammer’s French Roast is very smoky. Like the tasting notes, it has a smoky, cedar aura. It does remind me of cedar burning on a campfire. When drinking my second cup, with sweetener added, I get a bold new flavor. Again, like the notes, the flavor has a walnut taste that sets broadly on my tongue. While my research suggests a possible bitterness in the dark roast, I sense it as flatter. While the Signature Blend was exceptionally smooth, the French Roast has smoothness and broader flavor.

The body of the Hammer French Roast is exceedingly present. It has weight on the tongue and cheeks and does not compromise with a brief after taste. Its flavor, in my first and second cups, coats my mouth and allows me to relish the beans and their morning brewed alchemy. Unlike the Signature Blend, the French Roast has a heavier presence. It is a richer brew that delivers a stronger coffee flavor without being contemporary.

Acidity, in my opinion, seems very subjective. I detected nothing acidic about Hammer’s French Roast. It was a stretch for me to say there was anything acidic about their signature blend. Both these coffees, in my experience, are exceptional products, and I believe they have no equals. My research and experimentation of these Hammer Coffees have contradicted some of my own tasting theories and have led me to better understanding of my own taste conceptions. I suggest that people buy these products and experiment with them. While peoples’ experiences are relative, learning is something we can all do. Coffee should be a shared experience. I wish you all a lucrative and enjoyable coffee tasting experience and hope this series of posts has helped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...