Skip to main content

Fire Department Coffee

It may be difficult for me to give Fire Department Coffee, original medium roast, a fair and objective review. The reason for inaccuracy is a case of covid that I have spent a lengthy amount of time getting over. During this time I have been drinking a commercial brand from a plastic tub. In essence, soaking my pallet in generic flavor. Let’s be reasonable. The tub brands, for lack of a better term, are not bad. They are what the majority of us drink in this economy that seems to stifle us from leisurely luxuries.

Upon opening the red package of Fire Department Coffee and sniffing, I notice nothing special or beyond the ordinary scent of fresh coffee. The grind appears to be finer than most. I scoop it into my pour-over brew pot and heat up some fresh water.

When I try my first cup it is better than what I have been drinking lately. The package is the simplest I have seen. For ingredients it simply reads, “Coffee.” There are no tasting notes or esoteric flavors listed for consumer hype. The roast is in my opinion a nominal medium coffee roast: smooth, full flavored, and enough coffee complexity and acidity to brighten most people’s, including my, mornings.

The body of the coffee is also above ordinary, but nothing stratospheric. It is heavier than a generic coffee and holds enough weight on my taste buds to justify more cups. For my second cup I add some sweetener. I am surprised with the flavor. This coffee seems to have an adherence to sweetener. Unlike other coffees that I have tried, I get a more intense sweetness from this one. It is not an aversive sweetness, but a pleasurable one. This coffee is worth trying for people interested. And like other products that help support public servants, a little goes a long way, so buy some Fire Department Coffee and wake up to a better world.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...