Skip to main content

Death Wish Pumpkin Chai Coffee


Sadly, maybe for economic reasons, retailers are putting out holiday merchandise way earlier than when said holidays are celebrated. This leads to my next coffee tasting. Death Wish Pumpkin Chai Coffee was placed in a mid-aisle display for Halloween. It was July when I purchased it. I love pumpkin spice because I remember when I was young and my elders baked real pumpkin pies in the kitchen; they were the most incredible treats. But, pumpkin chai is not pumpkin spice. Pumpkin chai may be a made up promotional flavor. Chai, an Indian tea mix, has cinnamon and cardamon, ginger, and cloves. It may be similar to pumpkin spice.

The smell of this coffee is interesting. I had to smell it a couple times to get its aroma set in mind. It is not bad; it has a good smell that I haven't met before. My first cup is tasty, and it does remind me of pumpkin spice. There is something unusual about it. The coffee roast seems very light. I do not taste coffee, at least not like a darker roast. I find some of the more unusual flavors of coffee seem to use a light roast. Chai with a light roast rather than tea is a logical brew. The flavor of cardamom, ginger, and cloves is something I am not used to. I wonder how different the flavor of light roast coffee is from Indian tea.

My second cup, with sweetener, is very good. The flavor is richer; there seems to be more coffee presence. The overall spice flavors stand out more. There is the cinnamon and there are the other spices present. Chai, also, is a flavor I have never met. I find the chai enjoyable, I’m not sure if many people will associate it with Halloween. My assessment of this coffee is that it is an enjoyably tasty coffee. Dark roast drinkers may be put off by it. It doesn’t have a strong finish or aftertaste. I will say it is something flavored coffee drinkers should try. Buy some for a refreshing and fun new experience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon, Dark Roast Coffee

  For this tasting of Draft Mule, Runaway Wagon dark roast coffee I needed a second day to be sure of what I was experiencing. Draft Mule, dark roast coffee smells and appears reminiscent of coffee from a plastic tub. Its smell is innocuous in the bag, but when poured out is less than desirable. It is a coarse grind and is not what I would call a dark roast appearance. After pouring hot water through it, there is a dark tint rather than an opaque liquidity, like a good dark roast. The packaging is enticing, it made me want to try it. The package appears simple and practical, like a paper bag with a mule on the front. Draft Mule’s package is designed well; in fact, it is overengineered. Its graphics catch the eye because of how exact they are. The paper bag is actually a plastic insulated containment pouch with a pull tab that exposes a zip lock access hole. After scooping some of the coffee into my pour-over funnel I started to notice how much attention was given to the packaging v...

Discussing 3 Coffee Tasting Attributes

  As a novice coffee taster, my attention has been drawn to the attribute scale (three bars) on the packages used by Thomas Hammer Coffee. The three attributes of coffee measured by these bars are: roast, body, and acidity. Professional coffee tasters know the intensity of these three attributes and their effects on the way coffee is experienced in consumption. As a novice, I do not. I have made it my duty to try a couple of Hammer’s coffees with different attribute scales and learn what it is professional coffee tasters are experiencing. Before I begin, other novices like me may want to know how these attributes are determined. I have briefly researched these attributes and will go over my discoveries here. The first attribute is “roast.” There are many ways to roast coffee. A large drum roaster using heated air is commonly used in commercial coffee roasting. The three most common levels of coffee roasting discussed are light, medium, and dark. When coffee is roasted, the beans wi...

Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee

In the gourmet coffee aisle, I see the same brands, often they stock their takes on the same flavors and roasts, but this time I almost overlooked something different. For this tasting I chose Four Sigmatic Focus Organic Coffee. While the packaging is top quality, its graphical design is not as eye-catching as the other brands. What captures my attention about it is its claim of mental clarity and energy. These terms are subjective, but in my experience mental clarity is always desirable. Today’s fast-paced world can be unforgiving; some clarity is always appreciated. The subjectivity of mental clarity led me to the decision of trying this coffee over a period of two days rather than one. Before I talk about this coffee, I bring up a caveat on the package: “consult your physician before use if you are pregnant, lactating, have a medical condition or are taking any medication.” I believe all natural supplements are subjected to such warnings. I’ll let buyers make their own judgments. My...